Sunday, July 10, 2005

Do you want secondhand or firsthand information?

"My friend told me that his friend said that...."

I guess I can live with what my friend's friend said about a restaurant or a good book, but if it was about something important--like where I have my investments--I don't want secondhand information. I want to hear it firsthand.

I suggest you have that attitude toward spiritual things, toward the question of Jesus Christ. There are all sorts of opinions and ideas floating around about what the Bible says that are simply not true. If you have never actually read the Bible firsthand, I encourage you to do so. A great place to begin is with the Gospel of Mark. That is the second book in the Newer Testament (the Christian Bible is broken into two major sections: the Old Testament--the Scriptures written before the coming of Jesus--and the New Testament, written about Christ and after Christ).

Read from a translation that is modern and easily understood (I recommend the New International Version).

Very important: each time before you read, pray that God will speak to you and enable you to understand what you are reading.

Read with an open mind, and see if you don't think that the Bible has the ring of truth to it, the ring of the divine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home